I have been making the final rough of The Golden Plaice. It has been keeping me very busy.
Page one posed lots of questions regarding how much colour to use. After making 3 new versions I decided against using the screen prints I had done for the background and the plants. They worked much better in black and white. A shame after doing so much work.. I kept the prawn and shrimp in colour and I have decided I like the printed borders around the holes. Inside I have tried to create as much movement as possible by attached leaves on diagonals and keeping it quite loose. This page gets better the more you add and takes at least a whole day to make.
The octopus page works as a fold very well, I’m still not certain about which different coloured pieces to use. I tried making the tentacles pink which has worked. The biggest problem is getting the printer to print in exactly the same place on both sides of the paper.
The basking shark is looking great, can’t wait to see it on high quality paper. I just need to move the word DAY down onto the next line which will help the scanning.
I tried a different fold on the bait ball page in an attempt to create more movement. It doesn’t really work so I shall go back to the previous style in the final version. I made fish into little latches for the flaps but unfortunately they dont last very long so I need to think of something else.
The Whales are working very smoothly now, I love the type and prawns whiskers!
I decided to redesign the dark page, I am now using the fold I tried out on the baitball page which did not work. It works well on this page because it makes prawn turn upside down just like in the poem.
The Golden Plaice is working well. I used a gradient inside his mouth which needs a bit of tweaking but otherwise it’s ready to go.